Monday, February 2, 2009


sooo i have this pretty gnarly headache, and my eyes are bloodshot. the diagnosis is simple - not enough sleep. this is nothing compared to what the mother of our little howler is going through. don't get me wrong... the noise our diminutive neonate makes isn't so much a wail as a tiny inarticulate sound that, when left unaccompanied for a period longer than 4 minutes and 23 seconds, begins to crescendo into a clamor

Photo by: flydime

that rivals The 1883 the Krakatoa eruption.


ahh the joys of parenting a 3 month old. there are a lot of little tricks to getting him to go back to sleep. or at least a state of non-noise making for (hopefully) up to 45 minutes. I have honed my sway (figure 8 style - all in the hips)/bounce (not too much, i personally try to mimic the gentle rising/falling that one would feel if they were adrift on a raft in a very calm ocean)/shhhh (maybe 40decibles with a little extra air right past his ear). However not even the swaybouceshhh seems to be working, so i have started singing softly to him. My partner in crime has all these cute little songs about chickens, rent and jello that she uses during play time, but i don't really have any that i sing (and each of my siblings could argue vehemently against me actually calling it singing - as i tend to fall into the orca whale mating call pitch more often than not) except two. In my rendition of these ditties the lyrics are changed, but the intent is still right on par.


Didn't Leave Nobody but the Baby (mp3) by Allsion Krauss, Gillian Welch, and Emmylou Harris. This is the one i sing the most to the little man. The lyrics are derived from a traditional mountain lullaby, However T-Bone Burnett (producer and arranger) asked Gillian Welch to expand upon it. There is something remarkably beautiful, if not a little haunting about it. I can and have listened to this song on repeat for incredible stretches of time.

Beautiful Boy (mp3) by John Lennon
This is the acoustic demo, because let's be honest the jamacian steel drum sound on the track from Double Fantasy was a little much. I know its a crappy recording and there is nothing but treble, but it's the best I had. I really wanted to post the Ben Harper version from the Instant Karma: Campaign to Save Darfur version, but I lost it when i transferred my library. Sorry.

so as a bonus, I'll give you another sweet ballad. Although I don't think I'll be singing this one to my son anytime soon.
Sweet Child O' Mine (mp3) Taken By Trees

~j

3 comments:

  1. My lullaby of choice for my son was Dixie Chicks' Godspeed. So sweet. Especially for boys. And everytime I sang it I'm sure I sounded just like them. ;)

    Love Allison Krauss' music. So fun to play.

    And speaking of Ben Harper. Pretty certain his concert up at Deer Valley about oh maybe 8 years ago or so with the lightening storm in the background is in my top 5 favorite concerts ever, if not top 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, when are we having you guys over for dinner? I'll get the salmon, you bring your cedar planks.

    jeff

    ReplyDelete